Ever since I was little I admired street artists and Guinness record breakers performing the art of plate spinning, years later my daily life feels just like that. I have many commitments up in the air.. trying manically to keep them all turning - a 2 yr old, a 1 year old, work, husband, animals and the house... Dashing to and fro, hoping to just keep them all turning!

Friday, January 21, 2011

Recharge yourself

It is one of the hardest things I find to do - take time to recharge my batteries, but when I do it is oh so great.

Before I became a mom (mum to the Brits - I have to put this in for my sister) I still struggled to make 'me time' - or at least in the way most people see it... slow down to recharge etc.

I did once join a yoga class and when it came time to renew for the next semester the instructor asked me "did you think yoga is the right activity for you?" Once I got over the embarrassment of the situation - I realised she made a good point, whilst I enjoyed the hour quietly and gently going through the stretches and poses - I would always arrive at the class with about 60- 90 seconds before it was due to start and once the lights came on at the end I would spring up like a newborn gazelle and be racing out the door to start work on the to do list that had popped into my head whilst in the peace of the class room! (I later took up tai chi - a bit more me, but I still only ever made it to the class with 60 or so seconds to spare, but at least I wasn't disrupting the peaceful buzz in that room!)

Anyway fast forward I am a work from home mom with a constant to do list - I don't begrudge the daily laundering of cloth diapers, the making of my every meal for my son, teaching him sign language (as a pre-verbal communication skill), using elimination communication (early potty training more to come on this), plus some a bit of daily spoken French - to help his language skills, as well as normal play dates, attending local baby workshops, baby play time with blocks, rings and all good things!

But every now and then you can get to saturation point, sometime literally as well as figuratively - I'm thinking of post Christmas with sickness and tummy bugs, but anyway! Yesterday I just needed some mommy free time, so after my wee one went to bed and his dad and I had eatendinner and despite the falling snow outside I pressed on and went to the movies and saw Little Fockers - good movie, good to get out for a bit of me time.

Today is a new day and I am invigorated for having had the break, which is good as tonight I start 'the packing' for our upcoming trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment