Ever since I was little I admired street artists and Guinness record breakers performing the art of plate spinning, years later my daily life feels just like that. I have many commitments up in the air.. trying manically to keep them all turning - a 2 yr old, a 1 year old, work, husband, animals and the house... Dashing to and fro, hoping to just keep them all turning!

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Wonderful Charlie Doherty

I read an article about an amazing little boy Charlie Doherty who at the tender age of 4, after seeing news coverage of the boxing day Tsunami - decided he no longer wanted birthday or Christmas presents but wanted instead the money to go to Charity.

Seven years later he is still doing this and also doing separate fundraising which he does to support Mary's Meals which provides "school feeding projects in communities where poverty and hunger prevent children from gaining an education." For just 1.5p they can feed a child for a day!

In 2008 Charlie's fundraising achievements earned him more recognition and a nomination for Britain's kindest kid award.

His more recent fundraising efforts are creating lots of media awareness. I made a donation yesterday, whilst I am pleased to see his funds have gone up sine then, it is only by less than £400 - which given the notoriety I am surprised it isn't more. But all of it is just fantastic for a boy who is still only 11.

What if he inspired ten more, twenty more, a hundred more boys and girls to be as selfless and relentless as he is!

Go for it Charlie - I hope you reach your current target!

No comments:

Post a Comment