Ever since I was little I admired street artists and Guinness record breakers performing the art of plate spinning, years later my daily life feels just like that. I have many commitments up in the air.. trying manically to keep them all turning - a 2 yr old, a 1 year old, work, husband, animals and the house... Dashing to and fro, hoping to just keep them all turning!

Sunday, November 28, 2010

The cloth vs disposable debate

I'd like to say it's an age old debate which to use, but with disposable diapers (nappies to the Brits) evolving from the 1940's into something similar to the product we know today, being launched by Pampers in 1961 - it's a relatively new debate.

There are those who would just not consider using cloth diapers and I totally get that - I mean these wonderful convenient products have been invented, it may seem totally crazy to consider 'going back to the old days'!

However cloth diapers now are so different from the huge bulky bits of material they used to be (just like the disposable diaper has changed from it's original forms) I do challenge anyone to just at least try it - even part time at home before making a final decision. Many cloth diaper companies offer 'trial size' packs to get you started. You could even consider these as an investment ... a safety net should you (as can easily happen) get to the last few diapers in a pack and think you need to make a fast dash to the store to get more, you can always have these on hand.

Depending on your mind set will depend on which of the arguments 'pro cloth' may appeal to you. I am a thrifty tree hugger so the economical and environmental arguments are closest to my heart. I have heard people argue with the cost of laundering them yourself tips the scale against - but it is just not true. Also in my experience I found I was doing a laundry load every day anyway, it wasn't too much trouble to have soaked the diapers then run them thro a rinse cycle before putting on a full load.

Even if you are very fashionable in your diaper choices and your baby is decked out in leopard print and other cute designs possible, you would be hard pressed to spend more than your counterparts using disposables.

My baby was possibly an exception to the average rule, as being wet for even a second was intolerable - which I always saw as good as he would not be sat around in his own bodily waste for long and therefore helping greatly to prevent diaper rash. Not only this, his skin was not being exposed to bleach, fragrances and the myriad of chemicals put into diapers for any number of reasons including a wetness indicator! Babies young skin absorbs these harsh chemicals far too quickly for me to personally consider even as a choice.

I realised a few months in that some of my non cloth friends were doing 4 - 6 diaper changes a day, whilst I was doing 18 or more (thankfully now it is a lot less) but it's a two minute job and enjoyable bonding time with my baby on the change table! So I didn't mind much.

For those who like the idea of cloth, but not the work - there are diaper services out there and they are very reasonable, often costing less than using disposables! Just check the green credentials of the laundering process and be prepared to be storing used diapers for up to a week.

Other planetary considerations not often discussed about disposables - the solid waste is supposed to be disposed of in the toilet, sadly however it is all too often thrown out with the diaper and therefore goes to landfill, adding to the workload the poor earth has in absorbing our general waste. Not only that they now get individually wrapped inside a scented plastic bag!

There are those who use toilet training as a key decision maker and it is one that appealed to my husband. Especially with our son not liking being wet at all - we knew that toilet training would come a lot sooner and be a lot easier as a result of using cloth. (On this note please watch for forthcoming coverage of elimination communication and it's benefits.)

Baby hydration - in the hospital we were advised to keep a record of how many wet diapers a day our baby had to ensure he was getting enough milk. I am unsure how mums using disposables can tell whether a wet diaper had been wetted once or more..?

Some numbers for you - most cloth diaper companies recommend considering purchasing 36 diapers and approx 6 covers. This is an upfront investment and therefore always seems more expensive, but when you consider the total cost of disposables you can see it stacks up. (I will be adding an article later about different types and styles of cloth that I have used and my thoughts.) But to give you an idea as to how much of an investment each of them could be I found Diaper Decisions to have a good rule of thumb guide here
http://www.diaperdecisions.com/pages/cost_of_cloth_diapers.php

The average baby going through in excess of 7,000 disposable diapers, costing over $2,500. Depending on the individual child and when they are toilet trained, will depend on the final total. The investment of cloth diapers can pay for themselves within as little as six months! (That factors in laundering too.)

Cloth diapering was an easy decision for us, now my son is six months old - I look forward to all his future changes affectively being free!

No comments:

Post a Comment