Ever since I was little I admired street artists and Guinness record breakers performing the art of plate spinning, years later my daily life feels just like that. I have many commitments up in the air.. trying manically to keep them all turning - a 2 yr old, a 1 year old, work, husband, animals and the house... Dashing to and fro, hoping to just keep them all turning!

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Rest now, before the baby arrives!

This in my personal opinion could not be more rubbish!

For one - you cannot bank sleep! You will be tired from labour no matter what rest you had before, they call it labour, not spa for a reason!

I will now tone down the exclamation marks. I decided to not listen to the rest now advice, for one I'd had to sleep upright on the couch for the last three months of my pregnancy - otherwise my son would do a hiccupping tango all night long in my belly. Plus with the 'morning' sickness, which for me was morning noon and night and almost the entire pregnancy lying down made me nauseous.

When 9 months pregnant I was out in the garden planting seeds (stupidly in blazing 3pm heat, but anyway) I had to get all the things done once having a baby would be difficult and that would if left undone would bug me. But here is also what else I did and have shared with any pregnant woman who cares to listen - cook!

I'm not some old fashioned thinking person, with the whole preggers baking in the kitchen, I'm being practical... fill the freezer with lasagne, pasta sauce, soups... whatever suits your taste, time of year and well: your freezer space! Even some frozen bread and milk etc will, at some point in those early weeks with a new baby in your house, save the day! On some days when we didn't even care what we ate - frozen waffles did the trick.

You will need to snatch all the sleeping opportunities you can, a f t e r the baby is born* - so why waste time trying to cook food when you can stockpile a wholesome feast, or at least the bare bones that you can build on.

So just do what I learnt to do during pregnancy, nod, smile at the unwelcome advice, filter it out and go home and take out your frustration on some dough and then freeze it. :)

* I wish to note - sleep opportunities after the baby is born, may possibly be rare and well, like me, you may choose to attack the pile of cloth diapers instead of sleeping.. & that's ok too!

No comments:

Post a Comment