Ever since I was little I admired street artists and Guinness record breakers performing the art of plate spinning, years later my daily life feels just like that. I have many commitments up in the air.. trying manically to keep them all turning - a 2 yr old, a 1 year old, work, husband, animals and the house... Dashing to and fro, hoping to just keep them all turning!

Saturday, November 27, 2010

The soother saga!

Soothers/ pacifiers/ dummies!

They bring out such strong reactions in parents and non parents alike. I know I had an opinion on them and like many woman before me - had to change my opinion fast!

I thought it was a parental option ... one you took if you wanted to silence your baby. I think it is an easy mistake for many people BEFORE they have a baby to think this way.

Once my little guy reached two weeks I just knew the one thing missing from his ability to attain happiness/ contentedness - was a soother. Babies suck to soothe, it's biological fact.

Throwing all my ideals of my baby not needing/ wanting a soother, I researched the best one for him - to then be advised by my dentist that up until age one a soother cannot affect his mouth or teeth negatively. That a good diet and oral health were the key factors that as a parent I could influence.

With a soother he instantly settled down and it was not long before he only 'needed' it at night. My next incorrect assumption was that I would throw out the soother by 6 months! Knock Knock - hello teething!

The trick is to have your ideals - but be ready to forget them if your baby needs you to!

No comments:

Post a Comment