Ever since I was little I admired street artists and Guinness record breakers performing the art of plate spinning, years later my daily life feels just like that. I have many commitments up in the air.. trying manically to keep them all turning - a 2 yr old, a 1 year old, work, husband, animals and the house... Dashing to and fro, hoping to just keep them all turning!

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Breast is best

When even the formula manufacturers are putting this in their marketing and packing etc, you know that it has to have a lot of truth to it!

But what if you can't or don't want to?

Why did I have such a fear/ inkling that all would not go to my breastfeeding plan. Was it because my pregnancy and labour were not they way I wanted them to be? Whatever it was I was one of the unlucky ones for whom something that nature designed was just out of my reach!

However all was not lost - I was so very determined and whilst my doctor could not fathom why I was so willing to persist, she did at least offer me some medication 'domperidone' which along with the natural supplement fenugreek I popped regularly, racking up to 26 tablets a day. We were also unfortunately, also having to supplement feed with some formula.

This did mean we had all the work of making bottles on top of the time spent breastfeeding, but at least this way my son and I were getting the magical close time together & he was getting the immune boost, whilst getting the calories and the fullness from the bottle.

I think with all my experiences rich and diverse so far - I would say to anyone that what works for you and your baby is what works. If you can breastfeed and it goes well for you - you are lucky. If you can and choose not to - don't beat yourself up about it, don't feel you have to justify it to complete strangers who have the odd habit of asking you directly if you are breastfeeding!

Happy mum and happy baby go hand in hand. Breast may be best, but happy, fed and content is the true goal!

No comments:

Post a Comment