Ever since I was little I admired street artists and Guinness record breakers performing the art of plate spinning, years later my daily life feels just like that. I have many commitments up in the air.. trying manically to keep them all turning - a 2 yr old, a 1 year old, work, husband, animals and the house... Dashing to and fro, hoping to just keep them all turning!

Friday, February 18, 2011

Shake, rattle & roll



I often get asked what are the best toys for under 1's.

Well firstly that depends on your own definition of best - for me they need to be versatile, good for learning skills, fun & not gimmicky (also 2nd hand and where possible environmentally responsible.) I want to hold off getting caught in the trap of must have the next item in a series of toys etc (for as long as is possible!)

By versatile toys I mean like the simple and useful stackable rings:


These are great for 6 months up. As development progresses it can move from being something bright to hold and chew on, to learning to re-stack them, then learning to name the colours, count the rings and I'm sure even 4-6 year olds on a rainy day when there is nothing else to do would enjoy making their own version of lucky horseshoe throw with the ring stacker at a reasonable close range!

Coloured blocks that connect together, all help develop fine motor skills, cognition, colour recognition, counting and are fun to play with.

We are tight on space so we have a toy box and I regularly rotate toys and each time I bring out an old favourite the delight on my son's face shows. I do find if I leave too many toys out for him at one time no one toy holds his interest for long, but 3 or 4 toys - a soft blanket with different colour ribbons on, a small stuffed teddy and two developmental toys are my usual playtime recipe. Hopefully as he grows he will continue the only a few toys out at anytime tradition!

For eco friendly toys under $15 read this article.

Some of the most giggles in our house have been playing peekaboo with a blanket, me sweeping his playmat with a dustpan and brush! Nursery rhymes and one on one silly interaction with our little angel who like a sponge soaks up all life's rich experiences! Precious times!

No comments:

Post a Comment