Ever since I was little I admired street artists and Guinness record breakers performing the art of plate spinning, years later my daily life feels just like that. I have many commitments up in the air.. trying manically to keep them all turning - a 2 yr old, a 1 year old, work, husband, animals and the house... Dashing to and fro, hoping to just keep them all turning!

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Seeds of thought

What a wonderful time of the year! Now, I know Christmas has been and gone and January/ February is full of winter blues, but I do love this time of the year when I sit down with my seed catalogues and consider what to grow for the year ahead...

This year, more than any other, means so much to me. Whilst I love pulling up a carrot, rubbing the dirt off it and taking a sweet bite in the early morning (I find this the best time to harvest, as if you harvest later in the day, the sun warms the carrots, making them more aromatic and therefore attracting more carrot fly), this year I can be sure my son will be eating locally grown, organic and sustainable produce and that has been harvested at its peak!

Nothing beats potatoes from ‘fork to fork’ in under 20 minutes. I say fork, but I usually grow mine in old compost bags and then tip the bag out when it’s time to ‘harvest’. It saves space, time and you can move the bags when and where you choose to take advantage of hot or even cooler spots depending on the weather!

Read more...

These are my re-useable potato grow bags (I even use compost bags too) if the day gets too hot - I can move them etc and it makes harvesting them so easy - just tip the bag up somewhere convenient and rub through with your hand and collect handfuls of yummy, nutritious potatoes - served fresh and not put into storage with chemicals applied repeatedly, but that's another story....)

No comments:

Post a Comment