Ever since I was little I admired street artists and Guinness record breakers performing the art of plate spinning, years later my daily life feels just like that. I have many commitments up in the air.. trying manically to keep them all turning - a 2 yr old, a 1 year old, work, husband, animals and the house... Dashing to and fro, hoping to just keep them all turning!

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Sweet Potato & Leek Soup (+ Ham)

I love the old fashioned way of life and I am sure soup swaps and the such like would have been common place in small communities, which is why I was so pleased to be invited to a modern day soup swap.

Effort one a week ago was a 9 bean soup that well just lacked something, so at the 11th hour I went with a Sweet Potato, Leek and Ham effort. For the first time I didn't cook Ham Hocks in the slow cooker, just regular oven so at the last minute chickened out on adding the Ham - didn't want to make 6 families sick and when working with a meat that is supposed to be pink...

Anyway totally made is up as didn't have a recipe for 6 liters or even any quantity beyond serves 4 etc!

2 VERY LARGE sweet potatoes - diced

3 bunches VERY LARGE leeks (9 in total) - chopped

2 litres of chicken stock

3 litres of water

1 litre milk

1 spoonful of butter

(Ham Hocks -optional)

In large pot - I used my canning pot, add butter and fry leeks til soft - about 5 minutes! Add chicken stock, water and diced sweet potato. Boil, simmer for 30 mins. Remove from heat, add milk, then puree to desired consistency. Voila!

Meanwhile you can cook ham hocks or just cut up cooked ham and add to the soup, serve/ freeze/ share and enjoy!

(I acutally did 4 litres of water, but feel 3 would work better and yes this works out to 8/9 litres of finished soup... but what can I say - I like batch cooking and I was making it up as I went along!)

No comments:

Post a Comment