Ever since I was little I admired street artists and Guinness record breakers performing the art of plate spinning, years later my daily life feels just like that. I have many commitments up in the air.. trying manically to keep them all turning - a 2 yr old, a 1 year old, work, husband, animals and the house... Dashing to and fro, hoping to just keep them all turning!

Friday, July 15, 2011

Garden bounty

When the day starts with mint tea, followed by a salad lunch and dinner with fresh potatos - all home grown: you can tell summer's here!

Sadly at the same time our rain barrels are dry and I am loathing watering the garden with water I have paid to drink!

I am also looking at our two new chickens who have racked up three weeks with us and no eggs! I'm beginning to revise tonight's dinner menu... but wanting to try one more thing - to seperate the old and new 'flock' to see if they just need privacy to lay.. I had thought they had settled down, but the lack of eggs suggests they may not be being allowed into the nesting boxes.. I just don't want to shut my present flock out (who lay so very well) to test the theory...

Hmmm - we had the deal that all animals must pay for their keep and if we aren't getting eggs... Well we'll see!

I'm loving the rest of my harvest so far and gardening with my son and letting him eat the fresh blackberries and watching the joy on his purple stained face is priceless.

All I need is my wedding anniversary gift of a root cellar and next yr a small green house and better rabbit defences and we will really be generating some output on our 'backyard homestead'!

No comments:

Post a Comment